- Undergraduate - BS, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- Graduate - MS Systems Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- MD - Rutgers - New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ
- Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI
- Fellowship in Adult Reconstruction Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Fellow, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Association
I put the patient needs and desires first before all else. Your trust is a responsibility I take personally and very seriously. I use shared decision making by incorporating your needs and desires along with my experience to help you to arrive at a treatment plan that will enable you to reach your mobility and lifestyle goals. Not everyone needs an operation and I use surgical intervention as a last resort and only when it is the best course of action.
More about Dr. Akhtar
I am an experienced, board-certified orthopedic surgeon and I evaluate and treat all conditions of the musculoskeletal system. My expertise is in the evaluation and treatment of hip and knee problems. When surgical treatment is beneficial, I perform:
Joint Replacement Surgery, which includes:
I am an expert at utilizing robotics and computer-guided surgical tools in order to customize the fit and position of the implant in order to improve outcomes and lessen the risk of complications.
Prior to coming to Cedar Rapids, I was in private practice in Austin, Texas, as well as a clinical assistant professor of orthopaedic surgery at the University of Texas- Dell Medical School where I was involved with educating the next generation of surgeons. I continue to teach surgical techniques around the country as part of my role as a consultant to Stryker Corporation. Prior to my medical career I was a practicing engineer and spent time working at AT&T Bell Labs and Intel.
Year Joined PCI
Photography, hiking, fitness
Patient Success Gallery
Videos and photos of patients with successful total joint surgeries performed by Dr. Akhtar:
Patient walks without a cane just 2 weeks after simultaneous double knee replacement.