PET/CT Patient Preparation
- Avoid all caffeine and sugar for 24 hours before appointment. (Including fruits)
- No strenuous physical activity or exercise within 24 hours before your appointment.
- The night before your exam eat a high protein, low sugar, low carbohydrate sugar consisting of any meat, eggs, and vegetables. Do not eat or drink dairy products, potates, pastas, cereals, breads, corn, peas, carrots, fruits and sugar.
- Do not eat or drink anything except water 4 hours prior to your appointment. (6 hours if diabetic)
- The morning of your exam, breakfast is meat, eggs, and vegetables only. Do not eat potatoes, pastas, cereals, breads, corn, peas, carrots, dairy products, fruits and sugar.
- Regular medications may be taken as prescribed.
- Drink 2 glasses of water 1 hour before your appointment.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing without metal if possible. Leave jewelry at home if possible.
- Wear your hearing aid, glasses and/or dentures.
- Exam takes about 3 hours from start to finish.
- Let scheduler know if you are:
- Latex sensitive/allergic
- Need pain medication for exam
- Please also let your scheduler know if you had a prior exam at another location.
If you have any questions prior to your exam please call Physicians' Clinic of Iowa - Hematology & Oncology at (319) 297-2900. If you need to cancel your exam please call by 4 PM the day prior to your exam. If you do not cancel and do not come for your exam, you will be responsible for paying the cost of the specially ordered radiotype used in the exam.
Does your insurance company require pre-certification for radiology procedures?