It appears that in today's busy world, it is becoming more and more difficult to take the time to step out of your own life, and give to those in need. Dr. Neil Mittelberg exemplifies the Spirit of St. Luke's through practicing our Standards of Excellence on a daily basis and believing in our Core Values. He is an example for all of us to think about how we provide the care we want our loved ones to receive.
We honor Dr. Mittelberg with the Spirit of St. Luke's Award and for his 19 years of service as a practicing physician. His dedication to the growth, development and success of not only the clinic practice that he is a part of – but to St. Luke's as an organization, is remarkable.
- Dr. Mittelberg's compassionate manner, caring spirit, and great communication with patients are just a few of the characteristics that make him so unique.
- He completes a Take 5 with his patients, taking the time to sit down and thoroughly explain the patient condition and plan of care allowing time for discussion with a warm caring approach treating each of his patients as if they were a loved one.
- He displays a positive attitude in all of his interactions with his patients and with the nursing staff showing respect and commitment to both, striving for the best outcome every time for his patients.
- Dr. Mittelberg had a patient with a new cancer diagnosis. While rounding on her he sat down in a chair and pulled it close. He spent 20 minutes discussing the result, how it affected her, what to expect and offered his empathy during the entire conversation.
- One day Dr. Mittelberg called St. Luke's 5 West nursing station to inform the staff of the time he would be coming back to talk with a patient so she could have her family present if they chose to be. The family wanted to be present to talk to him. He did come back to visit with this patient and her family at 9:30 that night to discuss the plan of care.
- Dr. Mittelberg had a calming effect on one patient that had been disgruntled with a previous doctor. He re-established the doctor/patient relationship. After Dr. Mittelberg left the room the patient stated, "He really listens".
- Dr. Mittelberg not only provides quality time and care at St. Luke's but he volunteers his time with Pheasants Forever in Jones County assisting with restoration of natural habitats.
- His wife, Cathy, told us he is a family man. He enjoys spending as much time with his family as possible watching Tara run track and Renee at her dance and music recitals. If there isn't a family activity, he takes advantage of the "down time" to work on his own farm.
- Mary Ann Osborn, Vice President and CCO of St. Luke's stated, "Dr. Mittelberg is the best example of consistent Spirit of St. Luke's. He is a great person and physician leader."